In search of green walnuts for liqueur
To make a nocino, the first step is to get green walnuts! This is usually possible in the months of May and June, but also in July, when it is also the perfect summer time for cocktails and good mood. Once you have your green walnuts, you need to take care of them while working with them for any recipe.
Note that green walnuts leave stubborn stains as a permanent marker. Green walnuts release juice that stains everything it touches in dark brown – your fingers, the cutting board, your clothes and all the culinary utensils. Therefore, wear gloves when cutting the walnuts and handling the cut pieces. Work on a cutting board that you can then throw away or it's just an older one.
Preparation of liqueur from green walnuts
For the preparation of the drink you will need several groups of products and utensils.
As equipment you will need:
- large glass of jar
- cutting board
- baking paper for an oven or similar
- sharp knife
- coffee filter or thick cotton cloth
The necessary ingredients are:
- 35 green walnuts picked at the right time
- 1 l pure grain alcohol
- 750 g sugar
- 1 stick of cinnamon (optional)
- 4-5 clove cloves (optional)
Instructions for preparation:
- Get the young walnuts directly or buy them from a place where they sell them. Clean them and cut them into 4 parts. Note that the smell of green walnuts can surprise you, just as the smishing we mentioned. Therefore, wear old clothes, and on the board itself put the kitchen paper if you want to save it for re-use.
- Put all the chopped walnuts in a large glass of jar and sprinkle them with the sugar. Seal the jar with a cap. Leave the jar in direct sunlight for 2 days.
- After 2 days, open the jar: you will see that the sugar has melted into a dark liquid.
- Prepare your cinnamon and cloves. The quantity is to be chosen by your taste.
- Add the spices and pour the alcohol into the jar. Leave the jar closed near a window, at least 2 months, ideally 3-4. Usually a good period is 90-95 days. It is important to shake it from time to time and put the jar in sunlight every day for several hours.
- When the right time is right, it's time to filter out your precious drink. Using a funnel and coffee filter, remove all liquid from the jar.
- Distribute the walnut liqueur into small glass bottles and close them tightly; now you can safely keep the liqueur for a long time. It is best to test it in winter if you prepare it in the summer, and in winter you can prepare the next batch for the coming summer.
The health benefits of green walnuts
Green walnuts are used for culinary and medical purposes. From them are prepared sweet and marinades, as well as healing infusions and are obviously suitable for the preparation of alcoholic beverages.
Their useful composition includes vitamin C, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B8, vitamin E and other nutrients such as aromatic compounds, proteins, iodine, organic acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, flavonoids, calcium, potassium, magnesium and phosphorus. [ [ref. 1] ] Green walnuts are also rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to the protection of cardiovascular health and the brain. [ [ref. 2] ]
Walnuts in general prove very useful in many diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, weight control, decrease in blood pressure, cancer, reduction of inflammation and others. [ [ref. 3] ] Therefore, we recommend them for consumption in any form, including in pleasant drinks for hot summer days or freezing winter evenings.